Barnsley Futures – Levelling Up Fund Bid
The funding will be used to deliver:
- The creation of a new Northern Academy for Vocal Excellence (NAVE) to deliver outstanding singing tuition to young people and serve as a permanent home to the world-renowned Barnsley Youth Choir (ranked 5th best in the world).
- A new activity park as part town centre’s forthcoming Youth Zone, including a skate park, bike track, new active routes and play spaces
- A Young People’s Wellbeing Hub ‘H.O.M.E.’ to provide fit-for-purpose places for services focused on emotional well-being and resilience including a broad range of mental health and well-being activity.
- The refurbishment of The Civic cultural centre to secure its future and extend its reach, bringing into use parts of the building not used for many years so it can work with and attract new audiences, particularly young people under 30, and develop their skills and talents.
The Barnsley Futures had notable characteristics which made the application compelling, and will make the projects’ delivery impactful:
- The package has a clear focus which responds to an identified challenge for Barnsley.
Young people in Barnsley face a poor start in life (and often a poorer start than elsewhere in the country). Therefore, Barnsley Futures is focused on creating facilities to benefit of young people and give them a better start in life.
- Investment will unlock the potential of existing local community assets and strengths.
By supporting the Youth Choir, Youth Hub and Civic, the funding is being used to capitalise on great things people in Barnsley are already doing and significantly increase their positive impact.
- The projects fit within a wider masterplan for Barnsley’s regeneration.
The investments will complement and be within walking distance of each other, and all accessible from the Glass Works and the Seam (both supported by the Future High Streets Fund), which are transforming the retail, leisure, and employment offer in the town centre.
- The bid brings together stakeholders and residents to achieve its vision.
Rather than Barnsley Council working alone to try deliver the desired outcomes, the projects were designed and will be delivered alongside other organisations, who themselves will co-design the projects and services with residents.
- It addresses multiple levelling up missions.
Through providing access to life-changing activities, the funding will improve the health and well-being, educational attainment, pride in place, and economic outcomes amongst young people.
Levelling Up bids elsewhere shared some or all these characteristics, but we feel Barnsley Futures does all the above especially well. Congratulations to Barnsley Council for bringing together such a package, through months (and years) of hard work.
WYCA Climate & Environment Monitoring & Evaluation Framework
Genecon were engaged by West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) to develop a monitoring and evaluation framework for their Climate and Environment Plan (CEP).Read more
Doncaster: Green Opportunities Study
Genecon was commissioned by Business Doncaster to answer a key question for the area:
“What opportunities are presented by Low Carbon sector growth and which green technology sub-sectors provide the best economic opportunities for Doncaster?”Read more
Penderi Energy Project Evaluation
In May 2023, the Genecon ESG team were engaged by the Pobl Group, Wales’ leading social landlord, to conduct a comprehensive performance evaluation of their flagship energy retrofit project.Read more
Barnsley Futures – Levelling Up Fund
Genecon was appointed to support The Barnsley Future Levelling Up Fund Bid in 2022. The bid was awarded £10.2m to transform cultural and well-being facilities in the town centre.Read more
Sunderland Future High Streets Fund
Between September 2019 and April 2020, genecon completed the Sunderland Future High Streets Fund Bid for a £25m investment in Sunderland city centre, resulting in the full funding being awarded - the joint-highest of all bids.Read more
Hartlepool Town Investment Plan
In July 2020, genecon was commissioned to co-ordinate the preparation of the Hartlepool Town Investment Plan, working alongside Arcadis to develop a 20-year vision that would capitalise on the town’s existing strengths and to address challenges and shortfalls to drive economic growth and resilience.Read more
Essex Growth Model
In 2017, genecon created a toolkit to help Essex County Council take robust and effective decisions over its capital programme investments, with the goal of achieving the best possible economic and fiscal returns from up to 200 development sites across the county over the next 20 years.Read more
Coast to Capital Local Skills Report
In 2020 genecon was commissioned by Coast to Capital to undertake an analysis of available labour market data and produce a narrative around 27 core indicators to give an overview of the local skills landscape to be included in a Local Skills Report requested by the Department for Education.Read more
In April 2020, genecon was appointed to prepare a business case to help win Government investment in the development of the game-changing new Eden Project North in Morecambe, Lancashire.Read more
Castleford Town Deal
Between summer 2021 and spring 2022, genecon was responsible for preparing seven business cases for Castleford’s Town Deal programme, which have all now been submitted to Government for final approval.Read more